STEPS to create database manually
- Copy any existing database p file to a new name. If no database exists on this server, use p file of another database which is residing on another server.
- Open p file with vi editor and do necessary changes like changing database name, dump locations etc and save it.
- Create necessary directories as mentioned in p file.
- Copy the database creation script to the server and edit it to your need.
- Export the SID
$ export ORACLE_SID=dev
- Start the instance in no mount phase using the p file
SQL> startup nomount
- Execute create database script
- Once database is created, it will be opened automatically.
- Execute the catalog.sql and catproc.sql scripts
- Finally add this database entry to oratab file.
Note: Sometimes, we may get error “Oracle Instance terminated. Disconnection forced”. This is due to the reason that undo tablespace name mentioned in pfile is different from the one mentioned in database creation script.